Information about our group's research goal, topics, methods, and ongoing projects.
We are an international and transdisciplinary research group turning food for thought into action for sustainable change. The group delivers research, teaching and practical advice to support the management of sustainable food systems. We examine the tensions and synergies between environmental, social and economic issues, as well as analyze alternatives to manage complex challenges related to individual food businesses, value chains and value networks. The aim of the group is to contribute toward a better understanding of managerial and behavioural issues in sustainable food systems, their organizations and governance, focusing on sustainable change based on four key themes:
- Value networks and value chains
- Innovation, technology and communication
- Small business management
- Ethics and philosophy of management
RESEARCH AREAS, THEMES, AND METHODS
MATS - Making agricultural trade sustainable (2021-2024)
MATS is a Horizon 2020 project that aims to identify key leverage points for changes in agricultural trade policy that foster the positive and reduce the negative impacts of trade on environmental sustainability and human well-being.
Visit the MATS project website here.
PerinneHyvä - Improving the welfare of cattle and nature with traditional rural biotopes (2021-2023)
The aim of this project is to evaluate
- the ecological value of potential biotope areas in Southern Finland (in cooperation with the HELMI-program led by the Ministry of Environment)
- the compensation effect that new or reconstructed biodiversity areas could have on the carbon footprint of cattle farms
- farmers’ experience and interest to use biodiversity areas as a method of compensating their carbon footprint
- the effect on animal welfare from using grazing for biodiversity maintenance and biotope reconstruction
- the effect of grazing on farmers’ work load
Blog post on the PerinneHyvä project (in Finnish).
Video on the PerinneHyvä project (in Finnish):
Flyer (in Finnish) for farmers interested in participating in the project: