The University of Helsinki is an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. It is one of the leading multidisciplinary research universities in Europe and ranks among the top 100 international universities in the world.
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine is the only institution of higher education in Finland to train veterinarians. It has about 750 undergraduate and postgraduate students and employs about 150 academic staff, which is about a half of the total staff number. The degree programmes have been accredited in accordance with the European System of Evaluation of Veterinary Training (ESEVT). The Faculty has four departments (Food Hygiene and Environmental Health, Equine and Small Animal Medicine, Production Animal Medicine, Veterinary Biosciences) and Veterinary Teaching Hospital. Veterinary Teaching Hospital is an essential part of research and teaching environment for clinical veterinary science.
The research and teaching activities at Viikki Campus are supported by state-of-the-art infrastructures including core facilities e.g for genome analysis, proteomics, in vitro and in vivo animal imaging and electrophysiology, histotechnology and laboratory animal pathology, mouse behavioral phenotyping and biosafety laboratories for work on pathogenic microbes
(https://www.helsinki.fi/en/helsinki-institute-of-life-science/hilife-res...). Also cross-disciplinary Drug Research Program (DRP) hosted by the Faculty of Pharmacy is located at Viikki Campus (links nationally to Finnish Platform for Pharmaceutical Research, FinPharma).
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine invites applications for the position of an
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR IN VETERINARY PHARMACOLOGY (eläinlääketieteellinen farmakologia / Veterinärmedicinska farmakologi)
The research, expertise and teaching field of the professorship is veterinary pharmacology, including pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, clinical veterinary pharmacology and legislation concerning the use of drugs in animals. The work includes research, teaching at pre- and postgraduate level, supervision of licentiate and PhD thesis as well as supervision of residents. The work also involves other academic duties at the Department of Equine and Small Animal Medicine and in a multidisciplinary environment within HOH Helsinki One Health network organization.
The position is first a fixed-term tenure track position. Tenure track system consists of two stages, each 3–5 years. The successful applicant may be appointed to the first stage (assistant professorship) or the second stage (associate professorship) of the tenure track system, depending on his or her qualifications and career stage. The tenure track system aims for granting tenure and a permanent position as a professor. For more information on the tenure track model, career path and general assessment criteria at the University of Helsinki, please see https://www.helsinki.fi/en/about-us/careers/academic-careers/tenure-track.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AND ASSESSMENT OF THE QUALIFICATIONS
An appointee to the position shall hold a doctoral degree, have the ability to conduct independent scientific research work, have the teaching skills necessary for the position, and have the ability and motivation to pursue an academic career.
As teaching is clinically focused, the appointee is required to hold a licentiate of veterinary medicine degree or equivalent (for example DVM, MSc VetMed) and have acquainted postgraduate expertise in veterinary pharmacology. A professional specialist degree in veterinary pharmacology (e.g. a specialist in European or American Board of Veterinary Specialisation; EBVS or ABVS) is considered as a merit. Experience in clinical veterinary practice is an advantage.
Applicant’s expertise and experience in research and teaching will be mainly assessed by considering:
• research activity and scientific publications in the field of the position
• experience in teaching and supervision of students, as well as other teaching merits such as pedagogical training
• activity/success in obtaining external research funding
• international research experience and positions of trust
• public engagement and interaction within the University community
The assessment of the qualifications is always conducted as an overall assessment.
The appointee must be fluent in English. If the appointee is not proficient in Finnish or Swedish, he/she is expected to acquire moderate proficiency within a reasonable time after the appointment. Support for language studies is offered.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
• Monthly gross salary will be about 4 400–6 000 euros depending on the applicant’s merits and career stage.
• The position is associated with a moderate start-up package.
• Read more about the employee benefits at the University of Helsinki and why the University of Helsinki is an excellent career choice: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/about-us/careers.
APPLICATION AND FURTHER INFORMATION
Application must include an academic portfolio (in English). It should specifically include
• applicant’s CV information
• full publication list
• scientific activity including acquired research funding
• report on the experience and merits related to the assessment of teaching skills
• plan for developing research and teaching in the field of professorship (plan max 2 pages)
For more information, please see and take into account in your academic portfolio:
Please submit your application, together with the required attachments as a single pdf file, through the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link Apply for the position (Sök jobbet). Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to submit their application via SAP HR portal. Only the mandatory fields (*) of the recruitment system including the Academic Merits questionnaire and where you found about this job opportunity may be filled in. The closing date for applications is 17 June 2021.
Applicants are kindly asked to prepare for the situation in which, after the closing of the application period, the faculty may request them to submit up to 10 publications of their choice to be sent to the assessors.
• Position and the operational environment: docent, department head Marja Raekallio, marja.raekallio(at)helsinki.fi
• Recruitment process, tenure track model, academic portfolio and assessment of teaching skills: HR Specialist Heidi Kauppinen, heidi.m.kauppinen(at)helsinki.fi, p. +35850415534
• Faculty of Veterinary Medicine: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-veterinary-medicine
Related to the operational environment, please see also:
• Veterinary Teaching Hospital: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/veterinary-teaching-hospital
• HOH Helsinki One Health: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/one-health
• HiLIFE Research Infrastructures: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/helsinki-institute-of-life-science/hilife-res...
• DRP: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-pharmacy/research/drug-research-pr...
• FinPharma: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/networks/finpharma
Ansökningstiden går ut
17.06.2021 23:59 EEST