The Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry invites applications for the position of an
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / PROFESSOR IN PEATLAND FORESTRY
The University of Helsinki (UH) is an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. It is one of the leading multidisciplinary research universities in Europe and ranks among the top 100 international universities in the world. We are an equal opportunity employer and offer an attractive and diverse workplace in an inspiring environment with a variety of development opportunities and benefits.
The mission of the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry, located on Viikki Campus, is to promote the sustainable use of natural resources through scholarly research and teaching based on such research. Our key fields of education and research include agricultural and forest sciences, food and nutrition as well as the related fields of microbiology and economics. Consequently, we cover the full natural resource chain from farm to fork, the entire field of forest sciences from soil chemistry to marketing, as well as the environmental effects of related activities. The graduates of our Faculty are diverse experts in biosciences and business activity, serving the needs of the private sector and society.
The Department of Forest Sciences is a unit under the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry, which employs some 100 individuals: 16 professors, 4 assistant or associate professors (1 at the Helsinki Institute of Life Science HiLIFE, 1 each under the Profi3 and Profi5 funding schemes and 1 at the Helsinki Institute of Sustainability Science HELSUS), 14 university lecturers, as well as 60–70 researchers and doctoral students. The Department conducts research of a high international standard in the forest sciences and provides the highest education based on this research. The focus areas of the Department’s research and teaching are forest ecology and forest resource management as well as forest economics, business and society. The goal of the Department’s multidisciplinary operations is to provide teaching in the sustainability and sustainable use of forests, as well as conduct related scholarly research and public engagement. The Faculty grants Bachelor and Master of Science (Agriculture and Forestry) degrees, as well as Doctor of Science (Agriculture and Forestry) degrees in the University’s doctoral programmes. The Department’s degree programmes have roughly 350 undergraduate and 60 postgraduate students. The Department of Forest Sciences is active in its public engagement and it has a long history of successful collaboration with research institutes in the field, other universities, public administration and businesses both nationally and internationally.
The Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry invites applications for the position of
PROFESSOR OR ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF PEATLAND FORESTRY
The successful applicant may be appointed to a permanent professorship or a fixed-term assistant or associate professorship (tenure track system) as of November 1, 2022, or as agreed, depending on their qualifications and career stage.
The duties of the position include multidisciplinary research and teaching related to the ecology of boreal peatlands and the use of peatland forests. The appointee is expected to carry out high-level scholarly research in one or more of the following fields:
• Overall impacts of the different forms of peatland use, with particular focus on the greenhouse gas emissions as well as climate, watercourse and biodiversity effects of peatlands and their use
• Forestry on peatlands; silviculture and management in drained peatlands, planning of forestry practices at the level of catchment areas
• Peatlands as habitats; growing site classification of natural and drained peatland ecosystems, nutrient cycle and content in peatland ecosystems, properties of peat
• Other relevance of peatlands; peatland restoration and its effects on the climate, peatland conservation issues, new forms of peatland use.
The appointee will be a nationally and internationally networked individual who will assemble their own research group and actively seek to obtain funding. To successfully attend to the duties of the position, the appointee must have solid evidence of conducting and managing multidisciplinary research. The appointee will provide and develop teaching in their field in the bachelor's and master's degrees coordinated by the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry as well as doctoral programmes (https://www.helsinki.fi/en/admissions-and-education/apply-bachelors-and-...).
An appointee to the position of assistant professor or associate professor in the tenure track system shall have
- a doctoral degree
- the ability to conduct independent scholarly work
- the teaching skills required for the position
- the ability and motivation to pursue an academic career, as demonstrated by publications and other means
When assessing the applicants’ qualifications, attention shall be paid not only to research work and teaching qualifications, but also to success in the acquisition of external research funding as well as international scholarly work and other international experience.
An appointee to the position of professor shall have
- a doctoral degree
- high-level academic qualifications
- experience in leading scientific research
- the ability to provide research-based teaching and supervise dissertations and theses
- evidence of international cooperation in the research field they represent
- academic leadership skills
When considering the applicants’ qualifications, attention shall be given to:
- scientific publications and other research results of academic value
- activity in the scientific community
- success in obtaining external research funding
- international research experience
- international elected positions
- as well as leadership and interaction skills.
Teaching merits include
- teaching experience and pedagogical training
- the ability to produce learning material
- other teaching merits
- a teaching demonstration (if necessary)
- participation in doctoral education
To successfully attend to the duties of the position, the appointee must have excellent English skills. According to the Government Decree on Universities, professors and assistant/associate professors must be proficient in Finnish. They must also have at least satisfactory spoken and written skills in Swedish. Foreign citizens, non-native Finnish citizens or citizens who have not been educated in Finnish or Swedish may be exempted from this requirement without a separate application. If the successful applicant is not proficient in Finnish/Swedish, they are expected to acquire sufficient proficiency in Finnish within a reasonable period of time. The appointee will be offered support for studying the language.
WHAT WE OFFER
We offer an interesting position with responsibility in a diverse environment. At the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry, you have the opportunity to provide the highest education in Finland based on research in the field and be part of internationally esteemed and high-quality research activities. In the position, the appointee will be able to enhance their professional competence in a multidisciplinary work community. Their work will be supported by the teaching and research staff of the Department and the Faculty as well as the administrative and technical staff on Viikki Campus.
The salary for the position will be based on levels 8–10 (professor) or level 7 (assistant/associate professor) of the job requirement scheme for teaching and research personnel in the salary system of Finnish universities. In addition, the appointee will be paid a salary component based on personal performance. The annual salary of a professor is approximately 70 000–96 000 euros, while that of an assistant/associate professor is approximately 55 000–68 500 euros, depending on the previous experience and qualifications of the appointee. Furthermore, University of Helsinki offers comprehensive services to its employees, including occupational health care and opportunities for professional development.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICANTS
Applicants are requested to enclose the following documents in English with their applications as SINGLE PDF file:
1) A curriculum vitae
2) A report of their teaching expertise (max. 5 pages)
3) A numbered list of publications
4) A report describing the applicant’s research activities (activities in the scholarly community, success in obtaining research funding and international research) (max. 5 pages)
5) A brief motivation letter and a description of how the applicant intends to further their research in the future and their primary orientation in scholarly activities, should they be appointed to the position (1–2 pages)
We ask applicants to observe Faculty instructions concerning the description of teaching qualifications:
Instructions for application documents:
The attachments must be compiled into a single PDF file, named as follows:
Other attachments are not required. Candidates do not need to fill in the candidate profile (in the recruitment portal) for information, which is already in the application attachment.
Applicants are kindly asked to be ready after the application period to submit for assessment, through the electronic application system, no more than 10 publications of their choosing from their list of publications. In the case of shortlisted applicants, aptitude evaluation may be used as part of the recruitment process.
Applications must be submitted through the University’s electronic recruitment system by clicking on the Apply for the position link below. Internal applicants (i.e. current employees of the University of Helsinki) submit their applications at https://msap.helsinki.fi
The deadline for applications is 30.8.2021.
• Further information can be obtained from the Head of the Department, Professor Pasi Puttonen, pasi.puttonen(at)helsinki.fi, puh. +358 294158107
• Further information on the recruitment process may be obtained from HR Specialist Mirkka Juntunen, mirkka.juntunen(at)helsinki.fi, +358 294157583
For more information on the tenure track model, career path and general assessment criteria for different stages at the University of Helsinki, please see https://www.helsinki.fi/en/about-us/careers/academic-careers/tenure-track
Careers at the University of Helsinki
Ansökningstiden går ut
30.08.2021 23:59 EEST