The University of Helsinki is an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. It is one of the leading multidisciplinary research universities in Europe and ranks among the top 100 international universities in the world.
The Faculty of Pharmacy ranked #44 in the world in the ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021. It is located at Viikki Campus in Helsinki and provides good access to local and national research infrastructures including biobanks. It has about 200 employees, out of which 15 professors, and about 800 undergraduate and 160 postgraduate students with well-organized doctoral school programs.
The Faculty of Pharmacy invites applications for the position of a
PROFESSOR IN PHARMACEUTICAL TECHNOLOGY
The position is fixed term until the end of September 2022. The starting would be preferably in October 2021.
Pharmaceutical technology involves the formulative and manufacturing aspects of final dosage forms of drugs. Pharmaceutical technology is closely related to physical pharmacy, material science, process engineering and different measurement technologies in those areas.
The main responsibilities of the appointee are to act as a group leader of pharmaceutical technology projects related to pharmaceutical manufacturing processes and drug dosage form design and to conduct independent and collaborative research in this research area.
In addition to scientific research the appointee will act as the responsible person of teaching in pharmaceutical technology having the overview of the pharmaceutical technology discipline involving both undergraduate (Bachelor and Master in Pharmacy) and postgraduate education. The teaching of the appointee has its main focus on pharmaceutical manufacturing processes, excipients and the regulatory demands of dosage forms and the scientific phenomena behind these aspects
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AND ASSESSMENT OF QUALIFICATIONS
According to the Universities Act, a professor shall carry out and supervise scientific work, provide teaching based on it, follow developments in science and participate in societal interaction and international cooperation in the field.
An appointee to a full professorship shall hold a doctoral degree and have top-level scholarly qualifications, experience in the supervision of scientific research, as well as the ability to provide top-level research-based teaching and to supervise theses and dissertations. In addition, the appointee shall present documentation of international cooperation in the field of research that he or she represents. Holders of professorships shall also have the skills necessary for serving as an academic leader.
According to the regulations of the University of Helsinki, when assessing the applicant’s qualifications, attention will be paid to both scholarly and teaching qualifications. Scholarly qualifications include scientific publications and other research results of scientific value, success in obtaining external research funding, international research experience as well as international elected positions. When considering the teaching qualifications, attention will be focused on teaching experience and pedagogical training, the ability to produce teaching material, other teaching merits and, if necessary, a demonstration of teaching skills as well as participation in doctoral education. The applicant’s leadership and interaction skills as well as activity in the scientific community will also be taken into account.
When considering applicants’ qualifications, attention will be paid to:
• knowledge of pharmaceutical dosage forms and their manufacturing processes and excipients
• applicant’s expertise and experience in the research and teaching field
• scientific publications in the field of the position
• experience in successfully leading research projects
• success in obtaining external research funding
• experience in teaching and supervision of students, as well as other teaching merits
• international research experience/collaboration, other international experience and positions of trust
The appointee must have good English skills. To successfully attend the duties of the position, it’s preferable if the appointee is able to communicate well also in Finnish.
Monthly gross salary will be about 5 300–7 000 euros depending on the applicant’s merits. Read more about the employee benefits at the University of Helsinki: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/about-us/careers.
APPLICATION AND FURTHER INFORMATION
Application must include an academic portfolio (in English). It should specifically include
• applicant’s CV (either as an appendix or information included in the portfolio)
• full publication list
• scientific activity including acquired research funding
• report on the experience and merits related to the assessment of teaching skills
For more information, please see and take into account in your academic portfolio:
• More information on the report related to teaching skills: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-pharmacy/faculty/jobs-and-vacancie....
• A general example of the structure of an academic portfolio, can also be structured differently: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/about-us/careers/open-positions/academic-port...
Please submit your application, with the academic portfolio as a single pdf file, through the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the button Apply for the position (Hae työpaikkaa). Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to submit their application via the SAP HR portal. Only the mandatory fields (*) of the recruitment system including the Academic Merits questionnaire and where you found about this job opportunity may be filled in. The closing date for applications is August 22, 2021 (23:59 EEST).
Further information (please note that July is a typical holiday month in Finland):
• About the position and the operational environment: Faculty of Pharmacy, professor Anne Juppo, anne.juppo(at)helsinki.fi
• About the recruitment process and academic portfolio, assessment of teaching skills and technical support: HR Specialist Heidi Kauppinen, heidi.m.kauppinen(at)helsinki.fi, +358504155341
• Faculty of Pharmacy: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-pharmacy
• Viikki Campus: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/viikki-campus
• University of Helsinki: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/about-us/careers
22.08.2021 23:59 EEST