Latest information of the activities, developments and media coverage of viral zoonosis research group lead by Prof. Olli Vapalahti...
- Sequencing adapted from research use to monitoring the coronavirus pandemic
- Dr. Ravi Kant, Dr. Annamari Heikinheimo and Dr. Tarja Sironen are guest editing a special issue "From Genomics to Antibiotic Resistance in Emerging Pathogens" for Frontiers in Microbiology
- University of Helsinki researchers developed a sequence analysis pipeline for virus discovery
- Coronavirus: Study finds further door opener into the cell
- Researchers discovered the second 'key' used by the SARS-CoV-2 virus to enter into human cells
- A POST-DOCTORAL position open in our group (apply by 23rd november)
- COVID-19 seminars begin – join the first one 7.9. at 12
- Dr. Ravi Kant and Dr. Tarja Sironen are guest editing a special issue "The Genomics of Pathogens" for Antibiotics journal (IF 3.9)
- Finnish drug lead molecule shows promise in targeting the new coronavirus
- Prof. Olli Vapalahti led Consortium "Inhibitors of SARS-Coronavirus-2 Infection" got over 1.5 million euro funding by the Academy of Finland.
- Professor Olli Vapalahti's research group has received a grant of EUR 1,142,000 from the Jane and Aatos Erko Foundation for research on the coronavirus and new viral threats of animal origin.
- Asso. Professor Tarja Sironen received a research grant of 563000 euro from Jane and Aatos Erkkos Foundation for a project titled “Next-generation sequencing approaches for combating the antibiotic resistome of Mycobacterium tuberculosis” co-authored together with Dr. Ravi Kant and Dr. Fathiah Zakham.
- Academy of Finland granted funding for two projects to Prof. Olli Vapalahti for special call on COVID-19 research
- University of Helsinki: Innovative research and education to solve COVID-19
- Study: Coughing could spread coronavirus up to four metres
- Researcher disputes ministry report dismissing mask benefits
- Researchers modelling the spread of coronavirus emphasise the importance of avoiding busy indoor spaces
- A drug lead molecule studied by Viikki Biochemists may help in the fight against COVID-19
- Any hope for summer festivals? Not likely, say experts
- Tarja and Ravi on Voice of America (in Russian)
- Open sesame coronavirus – researchers map the SARS-CoV-2 virus genomes
- The University of Helsinki helps the healthcare system in the coronavirus crisis
- Drugs and rapid tests for coronavirus under development at the University of Helsinki
- Helsinki University researchers help develop Covid-19 antibody test
- Fathiah Zakham was awarded the OWSD (Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World) Elsevier Foundation Award for 2020.
- Coronavirus outbreak: Finnish professor, Olli Vapalahti, who says that some kind of turning point is close
- Kina förbjuder all handel med vilda djur och viltkött från och med söndagen. Djuruppfödning, transporter och handel med vilda djur regleras strängt tills virusepidemin är över. Den drabbade staden Wuhans borgmästare befarar tusen nya smittofall inom kort.
- Consortium "Vector-borne diseases and climate change in Finland: mapping, modelling, mitigation" led by Prof. Olli Vapalahti got 1.2 million euro funding for a special call on "Climate Change and Health" by the Academy of Finland.
- Tarja Sironen has been appointed as Associate Professor of Emerging Infectious Diseases.
- Tarja Sironen & Ravi Kant are guest editors for International Journal of Genomics.
- Tomas Strandin is our new Academy of Finland research fellow.
- Our publication on the Zika virus in NEJM (2016) | Media coverage below
- Finska forskare bekräftar kopplingen mellan zikaviruset och medfödda hjärnskador hos foster -HBL
- Zika: Another puzzle piece leads to more questions - CNN