Find more of who we are!
Leena Järvi (PhD) is an Associate professor in Applied Urban Meteorology and leads the urban meteorology group. Her research expertise lies in urban meteorology, climate and their interaction with air quality using state-of-the-art observations and modelling at different urban scales. She has expertise in urban eddy covariance measurements of variety of compounds and how to reduce their uncertainties, urban land surface modelling and urban LES. She is PI of the two eddy covariance stations located in Helsinki, with one of them being the ICOS Associated Ecosystem site. She has been developing the Surface Urban Energy and Water balance Scheme (SUEWS) and the parameterisations within. Currently her research interest lies in urban carbon storage, impact of meteorological conditions on local air quality distributions and how cities should be planned from the atmospheric perspective.
Elisa Vainio (PhD) is working as a postdoctoral researcher in the CarboCity project, focusing on gas exchange (water and CO2) measurements of urban vegetation. In her PhD (Environmental Sciences) she studied methane (CH4) and nitrous oxide (N2O) fluxes and their seasonality and upscaling in forest.
Yaxing Du (PhD) works as postdoctoral researcher at the CousCous project. She will focus on simulating the different air quality fields within urban neighborhoods and including to study the impact of turbulent transport and ventilation on the concentration fields. She is interested in understanding air quality and outdoor thermal comfort in urban environment within neighborhood scale.
Joyson Ahongshangbam (PhD) is working as a Postdoctoral Researcher in the CO-CARBON project. He will focus on quantifying carbon fluxes and storage in urban green areas. His research interests lie in forest carbon and water cycle studies through measurements, modelling and remote sensing applications.
D.Soc.Sc. Rosa Rantanen works as a Research Coordinator in the CO-CARBON project. Her background is in practical philosophy and she has also worked for NGO’s and humanitarian organizations. She is specialized in interdisciplinary approaches and social inclusion. In CO-CARBON she focuses on general coordination, stakeholder engagement, and creating new ideas and social impact.
Minttu Havu (MSc) works with urban carbon dioxide surface exchange and is adding it as simulated component to the Surface Urban Energy and Water Balance Scheme (SUEWS). She is interested on how different planning options can impact the spatial and temporal variability of carbon dioxide exchange.
Sasu Karttunen (MSc) is a doctoral student in meteorology working with urban boundary layer with focus in coastal cities. He utilises Lidar and DTS measurements together with LES modelling to understand development of urban boundary layers including the interaction with water bodies.
Xiaoyu Li (MSc) is a doctoral student working with urban air quality and formation of urban aerosol particles. She will use comprehensive air quality observations for different global cities as well as the LES model PALM in her research. Particularly she will further evaluate and improve the sectional aerosol module in PALM.
Jani Strömberg (BSc) is an undergraduate student working with the land use surface maps and surface radiation and energy balance model in PALM. His aim is to understand thermal turbulence production and its effect on flow and footprints in urban areas.
Jesse Soininen is an undergraduate student from the University of Helsinki working with CarboCity field observations from Kumpula in summer 2020.
PhD Mona Kurppa
- Doctoral student (2016-2020) (Currently Researcher at Finnish Meteorological Institute)
- PALM high-resolution air quality modelling
BSc Yasmin Frühauf
- Reseach Assistant / Master thesis worker (2020)
- Urban photosynthesis and fluorescence
PhD Tom Kokkonen
- Doctoral student (2014-2019) (Currently Assistant Professor at Nanging University)
- Urban water balance
DSc Mikko Auvinen
- Post-doctoral reseacher (2015-2018) (Currently researcher at Finnish Meteorological Institute)
- LES model sensitivity on boundary conditions
PhD Annika Nordbo
- Doctoral student (2009-2013)
- Urban eddy covariance measurements and their uncertainty
MSc Sonja Murto
- Reseach Assistant / Master thesis worker (2015)
- Surface Urban Energy balance in Beijing
MSc Alina Jasek
- Reserach assistant (2014)
- Urban carbon dioxide and methane eddy covariance measurements
- Erasmus visitor from AGH-University of Science and Technology, Krakow, Poland
MSc Joonas Moilanen
- Reseach Assistant / Master thesis worker (2011-2012)
- Surface energy balance in Helsinki city centre
BSc Anna Balling
- Reseach Assistant (2017)
- Analysis of air quality and meteorological data from mobile van and drone measurement campaign
- Erasmus student from University of Bayreuth, Germany
BSc Anna Ehler
- Reseach Assistant (2014)
- Spatial modeling of surface energy balance in Helsinki
BSc Juhani Takkunen
- Reseach Assistant (2013)
- Eddy covariance measurements
Prof Siegfried Raasch
- Visiting professor (March-April 2016)
- From University of Hannover, Germany
PhD Veronica Bellucco
- Researcher (2015)
- Parameterisation of urban vegetation CO2 exchange
- Erasmus visitor from University of Sassari, Italy