Welcome to the Reaction Kinetics group! Our research interests focus on reaction kinetics and oxidation chemistry in the gas phase, both under normal atmospheric conditions and during low-temperature combustion (auto-ignition).
We have developed our own experimental tools:
- Laser Photolysis -- Photoionization Mass Spectrometer (LP-PIMS)
- Time-Resolved Broad-Band Cavity-Enhanced Absorption Spectrometer (TR-BB-CEAS)
- + more systems under construction
We also do theoretical/computational studies using kinetic models to complement our experimental work.
Please see these recent publications:
- J. Peltola, P. Seal, A. Inkilä and A. Eskola, "Time-resolved, broadband UV-absorption spectrometry measurements of Criegee intermediate kinetics using a new photolytic precursor: unimolecular decomposition of CH2OO and its reaction with formic acid". Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 22, 11797-11808 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1039/D0CP00302F
- A. Eskola, T. T. Reijonen, T. T. Pekkanen, P. Heinonen, S. P. joshi, R. S. Timonen, "First direct kinetic measurement of i-C4H5 (CH2CHCCH2) + O2 reaction: Toward quantitative understanding of aromatic ring formation chemistry". Proceeedings of the Combustion Institute 38, 813-821 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proci.2020.06.031