Group leaders, researchers, doctoral students, master/bachelor students and visiting students/researchers.
PhD, Title of Docent (microbial immunology)
Karita received her Master's degree in biology/microbiology from the University of Helsinki Faculty of Biological and Environmental Sciences and her doctorate from the Faculty of Medicine. She continued her research as post doctoral fellow at University Medical Center Utrecht, Netherlands. Her current special research interests are on microbial innate immune evasion and the role of complement system in inflammatory diseases. Karita is also working as a contract researcher in industry.
Eija received her Master's degree and her doctorate from the University of Oulu. Her current special research interests are on the role of complement system in atherosclerosis.
PhD, Post doctoral researcher
Satoshi completed his master and PhD in pharmaceutical sciences at University of Chiba, Japan in 2016. He studied and worked on biochemistry, structural biology (especially X-ray crystallography), and computational chemistry on various proteins. After completion of PhD, he moved to Finland to work on structural biology of integral membrane transporters.
MSc, PhD student. Supervised by Karita Haapasalo and Seppo Meri. Shahan completed his masters in biochemistry from the University of Oulu in 2016. He is currently working on his PhD thesis in Inflammation and Infections team. He is especially interested to study Streptococcal virulence. The pathogen that fascinates him most is Streptococcus pneumoniae. He aims to contribute to a better understanding of the virulence and immune evasion by Streptococci.
PhD student supervised by Karita Haapasalo. Larisa completed her specialist degree in 2015 at Saint Petersburg Chemical-Pharmaceutical Academy. Her Master's thesis was focused on immunological conflict in maternal-fetal interface. After that she studied integrin cross-regulation for three years. Her strenghts are structral biology and scientific communication.
MSc student Uni Rankka is interested in the role of complement and microglia in neuroinflammation
- MSc student/ERASMUS: Marcel Cardona i Collado, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain
- MSc student/ERASMUS: Isabel Stötzel, University or Bonn, Germany
- MSc student: Katharina Volk, University of Bayreuth, Germany
- MD student: Giorgio Ratti, Humanitas University, Milan, Italy
- Bachelor's student: Angela Roig, University of Barcelona, Spain
- Bachelor's students: Jutta Hukka and Johanna Mäkelä, Metropolia University of Applied Sciences, Helsinki, Finland
- Bachelor's student: Mikael Gromyko, Metropolia University of Applied Sciences, Helsinki, Finland
- Bachelor's student: Pipsa Hakala, University of Helsinki