The Doctoral Programme in Microbiology and Biotechnology (MBDP) brings together branches of the entire field of microbiology, i.e., bacteria, archaea, eukaryotic microorganisms and viruses in any environment where microbes can be found. In addition to basic research in microbiology, it includes applied microbiology which is reflected by including microbiologically relevant biotechnology in the program.
- A community of 60 doctoral students and more than 50 supervisors from Finland and around the world
- Disciplines represented: environmental microbiology, microbial biotechnology, genetics and genomics of microbes, food microbiology, human and animal microbiota, microbe evolution, microbe-host interactions, infection microbiology, virology.
- Admissions: twice a year – 15 new doctoral students admitted each year
- University-funded doctoral candidate positions: call for applications once a year
- Want to know how others did it before you? Browse our recent doctoral theses at the university’s open digital archive.
Did you know? The employment rate of MBDP is very high: 98.5% of our graduates are employed after their doctoral degree. In addition, the researcher community formed around the program is nationally the most significant unit in its field and the only one in Finland in several sub-fields.