The historical buildings of Hyytiälä are an important part of Finnish cultural heritage, and have been been conserved by the National Board of Antiquities and Historical Monuments. They are exceptional to serve still in their original purpose.
Building of the old courtyard was commenced in autumn 1911. It provided the station with a large student accommodation building, a kitchen with a dining hall, a house for hired hand, and a pair of buildings for storage and maintenance. The dinner bell in the middle was not part of the original plan by the architects Ernst Theodor Granstedt and Carl Ricardo Björnberg. It was added by suggestion of contemporary forestry officer A. Benjamin Helander. The architectural design of old courtyard represents romantic nationalism.