The University of Helsinki is an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. It is one of the leading multidisciplinary research universities in Europe and ranks among the top 100 international universities in the world. We are an equal opportunity employer and offer an attractive and diverse workplace in an inspiring environment with a variety of development opportunities and benefits.
The Faculty of Pharmacy, Division of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Technology, invites applications for the position of a
The appointment is for 2 years with a preferred starting date of no later than 1 February 2022. The appointment can start already before that. The position will be filled with a 6 month probationary period.
Research and teaching environment
The appointment will be based at the Division of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Technology (Viikki Campus, Helsinki), but includes a 12-month mobility to Orion Corporation (City of Espoo) and also close collaboration with the Department of Computer Science and Department of Chemistry at the Faculty of Science (Kumpula Campus, Helsinki). The cities of Helsinki and Espoo are neighboring cities with convenient public transportation connections.
The Faculty of Pharmacy ranked #44 in the world in the ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021. We are located at Viikki Campus in Helsinki and provide excellent access to local and national research infrastructures. We have about 200 employees, out of which some 15 professors, and about 800 undergraduate and 160 postgraduate students with well-organized doctoral school programs. Division of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Technology is one of the three divisions at the Faculty. The research themes span pharmaceutical nanosciences, pharmaceutical microtechnology, pharmaceutical technology, and medicinal chemistry, forming a unique research environment for drug discovery and development.
The Department of Computer Science, which is part of the Faculty of Science, is a leading Computer Science research and teaching unit in Finland. The research themes of the Department cover machine learning and algorithms, computer networks and distributed systems, software systems and bioinformatics. The Department of Chemistry has a wide profile and it carries out international level research in three main topics, i.e., materials chemistry, synthesis and analysis, and molecular science.
Orion is a globally operating Finnish company that develops, manufactures and markets human and veterinary pharmaceuticals, active pharmaceutical ingredients and diagnostic tests for global markets. Orion's pharmaceutical innovations are created within its R&D organization, including e.g. non-clinical research, clinical development, formulation development and medical affairs. The organization employs top professionals in the field of drug molecule development and optimization. Medicine Design unit contributes to the drug discovery process of Orion R&D from target validation all the way to the candidate nomination. It is responsible for translating new drug targets to therapeutical modalities together with other line functions.
Description of position
We are seeking a postdoctoral researcher to further develop predictive modelling and machine learning for pharmaceutical synthesis at the University of Helsinki and in Orion, Medicine Design.
You will be involved in statistical analysis and classification of reaction databases, benchmarking predictive modelling scripts and ML algorithms as well as implementing these tools for medicinal chemistry at Orion Pharma and to flow chemistry applications at University of Helsinki.
You will also participate in the supervision of undergraduate/PhD students and in other discipline-specific teaching in pharmaceutical chemistry. Teaching tasks can account for up to 5% of the annual working time.
We are looking for an applicant with
• a PhD degree, completed less than 10 years ago, with a suitable field, e.g. physical chemistry, organic chemistry, or computer science
• a demonstrated record of research productivity
• excellent oral and written communication skills in English
• ability to work both independently and as part of a multidisciplinary research team
Experience in molecular modelling software platforms (e.g. Gaussian, Schrödinger), statistical analysis (e.g. SPSS) and programming/scripting/data analysis/data visualization (e.g. Python) is desirable, but not necessary.
We offer you great, highly professional and experienced colleagues and the opportunity to show your talent and challenge yourself with interesting tasks in a modern multidisciplinary environment. Standard occupational health care is provided for employees. Read more about the benefits in https://www.helsinki.fi/en/about-us/careers.
The salary is based on the salary system of Finnish universities. The monthly salary will be between about 3 200–3 600 € depending on qualifications and experience.
Application to the position
Please submit your application, together with the required attachments, through the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the button Apply for the position. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki should submit their application via the SAP HR portal (https://msap.helsinki.fi). You may fill in only the mandatory fields (*) in the Recruitment System.
The application should include the following documents as a single pdf file:
• a motivation letter (max 1 page)
• a complete CV with full contact details, education/previous degrees obtained, prior work/research experience, list of publications and theses (with links to their online versions, if available)
The closing date for applications is October 3, 2021 (23:59 EET).
• The project and position: Professor Jari Yli-Kauhaluoma, firstname.lastname@example.org and Senior Scientist Toni Metsänen, toni.metsanen(at)orionpharma.com
• Applying and/or technical support: HR Specialist Heidi Kauppinen, heidi.m.kauppinen(at)helsinki.fi, +358504155341
• University of Helsinki: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/about-us/careers
• Viikki Campus: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/viikki-campus
• Faculty of Pharmacy: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-pharmacy
• Faculty of Science: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-science
• Orion Corporation: https://www.orion.fi/en
• Support material for international applicants: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/about-us/careers/welcome
Related to the operational environment, please see also:
• DRP: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-pharmacy/research/drug-research-pr...
• FinPharma: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/networks/finpharma
• CatLab: https://www2.helsinki.fi/en/researchgroups/catalysis-and-green-chemistry...
• MUPI: https://www2.helsinki.fi/en/researchgroups/multi-source-probabilistic-in...
03.10.2021 23:59 EEST