Web server maintenance? Exhibition technology? CR-T scanning and digitization? We welcome you to apply for LUOMUS IT-team if these resonate with you!
Finnish Museum of Natural History (LUOMUS) is looking for an
IT Administrator/DevOps developer
to join Biodiversity Informatics Unit and its IT-team for a permanent position located in Helsinki, starting preferably as soon as possible, or as agreed.
Luomus’ ITC-team, consisting of 10 developers, develops IT services for the general public, Luomus staff and public authorities. Our main research infrastructure is the Finnish Biodiversity Information Facility (https://laji.fi). We also maintain about thirty other websites and services, for example the Finnish Invasive Alien Species portal (https://vieraslajit.fi) and the Web Service of the Red List of Finnish Species (https://punainenkirja.fi). We also develop mobile applications, GIS services and use a wide range of backend technologies.
Approximately 150 people work at Luomus, including 50 researchers who have their research data processing and publishing needs. Luomus utilizes machine learning, for example automatic voice recognition. We have three in-house digitization lines that are used to image tens of millions of collection specimen samples (plant sheets, pinned insects, etc.) and we do CR-T 3D scanning of specimen. In addition, Luomus has Laboratory of Chronology, which performs radiocarbon determinations, luminescence dating and stable isotope determinations, and a DNA laboratory. Luomus has three public attractions with rich set of exhibition technology.
In your role as an IT administrator / DevOps developer you will
- participate in user level maintenance of virtual servers and OpenShift/Kubernetes containers
- maintain, build and monitor IT infrastructure for the Natural History Museum and the Botanic Gardens together with the exhibition team and others
- develop and monitor backup processes
- maintain domain names and DNS, as well as renewing encryption certificates
- monitor the security of services
- handle tasks related to access rights, user accounts and authorization services
- participate in troubleshooting and prevention of technical issues together with the rest of the IT team
- participate in weekend on-call service
- maintain and improve software development and delivery process together with other developers (DevOps)
To be successful in this role we expect from you:
- strong knowledge in Linux operating systems, web server maintenance, TLS certificates, email traffic maintenance through work experience or related studies
- we do not maintain any physical servers or run our own virtualization platforms, so hardware level server administration skills are not required
- enthusiasm towards all things technical
- ability to take charge of IT infrastructure management and documentation process
- ability to work independently but also as part of our agile team
- fluent written and spoken English – Finnish skills are not required but can be a plus
Knowledge on any of the following is valued:
- OpenShift / Kubernetes containers, Docker
- Raspberry Pi, routers / networks, video conferencing and audio equipment, and any other technology
- previous experience with exhibition technology
The role can be adapted according to the applicant's own skills and passions! Your daily work may include, for example, production of interactive media for public attractions, data management, development of digitization technologies (camera automation; 3d scanning) or software development.
Luomus offers a fascinating and diverse field to work in, where it is possible to apply and develop broadly your skills in technology, service maintenance as well as software development and its processes. Our work contributes to helping save the environment.
Monthly salary for this position varies between 3200-3800 euros depending on candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition, we offer flexible work-life balance, meaningful work and great colleagues. In this role you’ll also have flexible remote working possibility. There is a six-month trial period for the position.
If you have questions regarding the position, please get in touch with IT Manager Esko Piirainen, esko.piirainen(at)helsinki.fi.
Please submit your application by 17.5.2021.
Please submit your application using the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link Apply for the position. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to leave their application via SAP HR portal.
The Finnish Museum of Natural History LUOMUS is an independent research institution functioning under the University of Helsinki. Luomus has three attractions close to the centre of Helsinki: the Natural History Museum and the Botanic Gardens of Kaisaniemi and Kumpula.
17.05.2021 23:59 EEST