My name is Kimmo Vehkalahti. I am an Adjunct Professor (aka "Docent") of Applied Statistics - an area that is applied everywhere, in all (im)possible fields. Currently I work as a University Lecturer at the Centre for Research Methods in the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Helsinki (UH). In 2013, I had the honor of becoming nominated as a Fellow of the Teachers' Academy of UH.
I am inspired by students' learning. Teaching facilitates learning.
My passion is Statistics - "Data Science" - especially working with multidimensional data and visualizing it, measuring phenomena in social and behavioral sciences, and getting excited about digital humanities as well as doing statistical computing of open data sets using open tools, such as R.
My heroes and guiding lights include, e.g., the following super characters:
- Hans Rosling (Gapminder Edutainer)
- Anne Birgitta Pessi (ambassador of co-passion)
- Seppo Mustonen (oldest nerd of Finland)
- Emilia Lahti (forerunner of sisu)
- Esa Saarinen (life-philosopher from Hyvinkää)
- Timo Honkela (master apprentice of peace and machine learning)
I teach courses that are wide open to everyone interested, for example: