Welcome to the Helsinki University Library, new student! This is how you get a library card
You need a Helka card to borrow printed materials from Helsinki University Library. Students at the University of Helsinki can acquire a digital Helka library card via the Studies Service. If you acquire a digital Helka card, you do not need a plastic Helka card at all.
- Log in to the Studies Service with your Helsinki University username and password. After signing in, you will see the Helka card icon in the upper right corner. With a mobile device, the Helka card can be found under the hamburger menu.
- The service guides you to first activate your customer information in the Helka database. After activation, you can purchase the Helka card at the Studies Service as directed.
- Set the PIN code and press save. Your digital Helka card has been created and will be ready to use straight away.
Once you have the Helka card, you can request books, renew loans and, when necessary, pay overdue fines in the Helka database.
More information on the page Library Card and the Right to Use the Library
How to use the Helka card on a mobile device
All students at the University of Helsinki can use a digital Helka card via the Studies Service.
Even if you already have a physical Helka card, you can use a digital card on the self-service lending machines and you do not have to carry your physical card with you.
- Log in to the Studies Service with your Helsinki University username and password. After signing in, you will find the Helka card icon under the hamburger menu.
- Click on the icon and the barcode of your library card will appear.
- Show the barcode to the self-service lending machine.