We are currently recruiting a research assistant to our Active Numeracy research group operating in The Faculty of Educational Sciences at University of Helsinki. We are offering a position from spring 2022 onwards for three months as a full time research assistant or for a longer time period as part-time research assistant. We provide a comprehensive introduction to all work assignments.
The position is also suitable for conducting a master’s thesis, as the research assistant will have the opportunity to utilize the collected data in his/her thesis. The position is primarily intended for students conducting their master’s thesis within the Faculty of Educational Sciences at University of Helsinki but other applicants will also be considered. The work is completed in a multidisciplinary research group, where there is the knowledge and will to supervise in conducting good quality research.
Description of the project and the assignments can be found below:
Active Early Numeracy - project
- The Active Early Numeracy project explores the relationships between physical activity and mathematical and motor skills in preschool-aged (3 to 6-year-old) children. The research assistant’s assignment is to investigate by means of a literature review how movement, movement skills and academic skills are developmentally related and what is the significance of the preschool learning environment in this relation. Concrete work assignments include defining search terms, planning the search procedure (research databases and timetable), conducting the search and reporting the results. Due to the assignment being a literature review, weekly working hours can be flexibly agreed. The position is also suitable for international students as the assignment can be conducted in English. The project is implemented in co-operation with University of Helsinki and Jyväskylä University.
Required skills from the applicant:
- Ongoing master’s studies in special education, educational sciences or sports sciences
- Good skills in special education, educational sciences or sports sciences research methods and common statistical softwares (e.g., Excel, SPSS)
- Good communication and interaction skills
- Good organizing skills and thorough work ethics
- Fluent Finnish and/or English language skills
Applicants are requested to send their CV and motivation letter (max 1 A4 page) to firstname.lastname@example.org at 27th of January 2022 at 21.00 the latest.
Professor Pirjo Aunio, email@example.com, will provide additional information concerning the position.