Mind and Matter organises seminars, conferences, and other events.
Mind and Matter Talks invites renowned scholars with fresh insights into the themes of information, intelligence, and consciousness to share their research in conversation with UH researchers. All talks take place online on Fridays from 14:00 to 15:30. Check the Mind and Matter Talks page for more information on the talks and the speakers. Details on how to attend will be posted in September.
- 30 September Nienke van Atteveldt: The use of portable EEG to enhance adolescents’ sense of control and growth mindset
- 14 October Yukie Nagai: Robots as Mirrors of Human Mind
- 21 October Anil Seth: Being You – A New Science of Consciousness
- 4 November Fernando E. Rosas: On the emergence of human cognition and consciousness: opportunities and challenges
- 18 November Laura Batterink: Learning language without trying: Probing the brain's ability to extract linguistic patterns outside of awareness
- 2 December Philip Goff and Keith Frankish: All of Nothing: Why illusionism and panpsychism may be the only options on consciousness
Mind and Matter will organise a conference in Helsinki in June 2023. Keep an eye out for more information later in the year!
Mind and Matter 2022: Foundations of Information, Intelligence and Consciousness
The first Mind and Matter conference was organised in Helsinki on 16-18 June 2022. Find out more on the conference website.
In what sense might artificial intelligences be able to understand, be creative or even conscious? What kinds of societal implications are to be expected from the rapid developments in artificial intelligence and neuroscience? Can we understand the deep nature of matter and information down to the quantum level? Researchers of the Mind and Matter profiling area presented their exciting research at the Mind and Matter seminar.
- 16.4.2021 14:00-15:30 Riikka Möttönen and Luigi Acerbi: How cognitive resources affect learning in humans and machines. Watch the seminar session here.
- 7.5.2021 14:00-15:30 Alexander Carruth and Anu-Katriina Pesonen
- 28.5.2021 14:00-15:30 Sabrina Maniscalco and Riikka Koulu
- 4.6.2021 14:00-15:30 Ben Cowley and Valtteri Arstila