HTB offers centralized and standardized Mycoplasma contamination testing service for the local research community of University of Helsinki
We use Lonza's MycoAlert PLUS Mycoplasma Detection Kit utilizing a luminescence-based detection of Mycoplasma-specific enzymatic activity in cell culture supernatants. The assay detects all common Mollicutes contaminations (Mycoplasma, Acholeplasma, Entomoplasma and Spiroplasma; except Ureaplasma).
Sample collection and preparation:
- Allow cells to grow a minimum of 24 hours under normal culture conditions without trypsinization or changing of media prior to collecting a sample
- Collect at least 2 ml of media from the cell culture
- Spin the media sample at 1500 rpm (200 x g) for 5 minutes. Collect and freeze the supernatant immediately at -80°C.
- Label the sample to include at least the cell line information, freezing date and group name.
- Provide at least 300 µL of the sample in a 1.5 ml tube to HTB for testing.
- HTB carries out the testing once every 2 (two) weeks. Inquiries regarding the next scheduled testing can be sent to Toveann Ahlnäs.
- Service requests for Mycoplasma testing must be submitted via iLab portal. You would need to register before using the portal for the first time.
- Please make arrangements with Toveann Ahlnäs before bringing the frozen sample to HTB.
Getting back the results
- Testing results will be communicated to the customers within 24h after the test via iLab
- 18.18 € / sample for domestic customers (The price is a little higher for customers abroad)