In addition to supervisors, each new doctoral student will be assigned a coordinating academic (called also responsible professor or responsible person). The coordinating academic is a professor of the student’s home faculty or a docent employed by the faculty with good knowledge of the requirements and practices of Doctoral studies at the University of Helsinki.
The coordinating academic’s duties do not include actual supervision responsibilities, but one of the supervisors may be assigned to be the coordinating academic, if they fulfill the above-mentioned criteria. The coordinating academic will be appointed at the same time as the supervisors. On the Instructions for teaching -service there is more about the role of a coordinating academic.
In the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine following persons may act as the coordinating academic for a doctoral student:
- professor or associate professor
- the person in charge of a discipline (if meeting the above criteria)
- and on decision of the faculty, a person who meets the above criteria and has made a reasoned request to the faculty.
- signs applicants application for doctoral study right,
- is responsible for the continuity of student's supervision arrangements together with the board of the doctoral programme,
- proposes pre-examiners, opponent, custos and the faculty representative(s) of the grading committee,
- confirms the plagiarism report on thesis manuscript (done by Urkund plagiarism detection system),
- approves the completed study modules included in doctoral degree