Welcome, new student! As a student at the Faculty of Science, you are part of one of the largest communities of scientific learning in the Nordic countries. Congratulations on a good choice! Instructions for Students will give you useful information and links to help you embark on your studies in the University of Helsinki as smoothly as possible.
Your studies at the University of Helsinki begins with the Orientation Week. The week includes the Welcome Fair, your faculty’s own orientations meetings and tutoring. You need to take part in all three!
Orientation for the new international students is a not-to-be-missed opportunity to get to know the Kumpula Campus, and to get all the official matters out of the way, while getting to know other international students. During the orientation course you will receive your student number, a computer user account and an e-mail address as well as information on course registration, exams, degree structure, student services, and student discounts. Tutor students will help you with get started with your studies as well as settling in Helsinki.
The orientation program for the new International students at the Faculty of Science will be updated in the Instructions for Students.
The Kumpula Campus is perched on a verdant hill only four kilometres from the centre of Helsinki. Kumpula is well connected to public transportation. You can use the HSL Journey Planner to plot your way to the campus.
There are three Unicafe restaurants at the Campus. The Physicum building houses a science library, with collections covering a wide range of literature from the natural sciences. See the Kumpula campus page for more information on the Exactum, Physicum and Chemicum buildings and the whole campus area!
Student life entails much more than studying. Within the student organisations, you can have the access to power and recreation. Meet like-minded students and gain social capital for your future!
There are more than ten student organisations in Kumpula. Whether you are a computer scientist, a geologist, a Swedish-speaking physicist or something else, you are sure to find the right organization for you, full of students of different ages and fun to do. You can also receive job offers during your studies through the subject organizations' e-mail lists.
Find out more about the student associations via the links below!
Student organisations in the Faculty of Science
- Kumpula Science International – International organization for staff and students at the Kumpula campus from University of Helsinki
- Matlu ry – The Science Students' Association. Matlu consists of 10 member associations within the Faculties of Science and Biological and Enviromental Sciences. Being a member in any of the member associations you are allowed to participate in all the events and activities within Matlu.
- Limes ry – A student organization for all the students of the Kumpula campus
- HAO ry – Student association for subject teacher trainees in the University of Helsinki
- HYK ry – Student association for the chemistry students
- MaO ry – Student association for the geography students
- Matrix ry – Student association for the mathematics students
- Meridiaani ry – Student association for the astrophysics students
- Moodi ry – Student association for the statistics students
- Resonanssi ry – Student association for the physics students
- Spektrum rf – Student association for the swedish speaking students in the Kumpula campus
- Synop ry – Student association for the meteorology students
- TKO-äly ry – Student association for the computer science and data science students
- Vasara ry – Student association for the geology students