Li­cens­ing on the grounds of a Bach­elor or Mas­ter of Sci­ence (Phar­macy) de­gree com­pleted abroad

The National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health (Valvira) decides on applications for the right to practise as a licensed dispenser or pharmacist.

Applicants who have completed their degree outside Finland must submit an application to Valvira to be licensed to practice the profession of dispenser or pharmacist. The Faculty of Pharmacy provides an assessment on the equivalence of degrees completed outside Finland only for applications received through Valvira.

The criterion for assessing the equivalence of such degrees is that they have been completed at a university or institute of higher education.

More information about the National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health.

Usually the applicants are required to complete supplementary studies to ensure sufficient knowledge and skills. Such applicants must apply for the right to complete the required studies as non-degree studies. The criterion for the right to complete non-degree studies is that the applicant has sufficient proficiency in Finnish or Swedish. The required language skills can be demonstrated with the following certificates:

  • National Certificate of Language Proficiency: Skills level 4 in all subtests
  • Civil Service Language Proficiency Certificate: Skills level ‘Good’ in the oral and written skills tests
  • A language test administered by the Language Centre of the University of Helsinki or the corresponding unit of another Finnish university, including the following sections: reading comprehension, grammar and vocabulary, writing and oral skills: Skills level 4 (B2) on average on a scale of 1 to 6

Applications for non-degree studies must be accompanied by one of the above-mentioned language certificates. Statements by individual language teachers on an applicant’s language skills are unacceptable, as they cannot be compared with standardised language tests. In addition, applicants should note that some of the literature used in studies may be in English.

Fees are charged for non-degree studies (€15 per credit).