The Faculty of Medicine is divided into three units, namely Clinicum, Medicum and the Research Programs Unit. Clinicum and Medicum comprise departments which are responsible for academic disciplines.
Clinicum includes the clinical departments, the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Diseases and the Department of Public Health.
The unit director is Professor Klaus Olkkola.
- Department of Diagnostics and Therapeutics
- Departments of Dermatology, Allergology and Venereology
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Surgery
- Children’s Hospital
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Department of Neurosciences
- Department of Psychiatry
- Department of Ophthalmology and Otorhinolaryngology
- Department of Medicine
- Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Diseases
- Department of Oncology
- Department of General Practice and Primary Health Care
Medicum is comprised of the biomedical departments, the clinical-theoretical disciplines and the Department of Forensic Medicine.
The unit director is Professor Eero Mervaala.
- Department of Anatomy
- Department of Bacteriology and Immunology
- Department of Biochemistry and Developmental Biology
- Department of Pharmacology
- Department of Physiology
- Department of Clinical Pharmacology
- Department of Clinical Chemistry and Haematology
- Department of Medical and Clinical Genetics
- Department of Forensic Medicine
- Department of Pathology
- Department of Psychology and logopedics
- Department of Virology
The Research Programs Unit (RPU) of the Faculty of Medicine is a high-level research community. An international scientific advisory board evaluates and selects the research programmes and groups through a competitive application procedure every four to six years.
RPU director is Henna Tyynismaa.
The current Research Programs are the following (until the end of 2025):
- Applied Tumor Genomics (ATG)
- Clinical and Molecular Metabolism (CAMM)
- Human Microbiome Research (HUMI)
- Individualized Drug Therapy (INDIVIDRUG)
- SLEEPWELL Research Program
- Systems Oncology (ONCOSYS)
- Translational Cancer Medicine Program (CAN-PRO)
- Translational Immunology Program (TRIMM)
- Stem Cells and Metabolism Research Program (STEMM)