Part of the University of Helsinki, a top-quality multidisciplinary European university, the Faculty of Law is the leading Finnish provider of legal education.
The roots of the Faculty of Law go all the way back to 1640 and the establishment of the Royal Academy of Turku (now the University of Helsinki). After the institution relocated to Helsinki in 1828, legal education was expanded and intensified. A degree completed at the Faculty of Law subsequently became a requirement for the country’s most important legal and administrative positions.
Today, the Faculty is located at the University’s City Centre Campus in the Porthania building, designed by Aarne Ervi and completed in 1957. The Faculty carries out research and teaching in all fields of law in Finnish, Swedish and English. The Faculty also has a unit in Vaasa. The Faculty has a staff of approximately 120 researchers and teachers.
A Master of Laws degree completed at the Faculty qualifies graduates for all types of legal work. The Faculty has just over 2,000 students and annually admits some 250 new students, or 5–10 % of those who apply. Swedish-speaking students have a separate admission quota. Study programmes
Faculty graduates in 2020:
- 549 Bachelor of Laws degrees
- 464 Master of Laws degrees
- 22 Doctor of Laws degrees.
The Faculty offers an international environment for study and research, and has active student and researcher exchange programmes. Each year, the Faculty welcomes some 150 exchange students from leading universities outside Finland and sends out many students to partner universities throughout the world. The Faculty is involved in the legal network of the League of European Research Universities (LERU). The Faculty has close links with many Nordic and European universities as well as the European University Institute (EUI).