Thursday 28 October 2021: Academic Conference
Online: Open for all.
NB! All times are Helsinki local times (UTC +03:00 Eastern European Summer Time)
9:00-9:15 Welcome: Prof. Mervi Pantti and Dr. Esa Reunanen
9:15-10:15 Keynote: Deplatforming the Far-Right: Alt-Tech and the Possible Ironic Outcome of Mainstream Content Moderation
Steven Livingston, Founding Director of the Institute for Data, Democracy, and Politics (IDDP) and Professor of Media and Public Affairs, George Washington University.
10:30-12:00 Thematic Session: Challenges of Platformisation. Chair: Dr. Salla-Maaria Laaksonen.
- Shifting rationales of European media and platform policies (Kari Karppinen, University of Helsinki)
- Analysing Nordic hate speech and the remedies (Reeta Pöyhtäri, University of Jyväskylä)
- Right to be forgotten (Anette Alén-Savikko, University of Helsinki)
- Universal and Targeted: Challenges for PSM in the Era of Platformisation (John Grönvall, Jockum Hildén, Minna Horowitz, University of Helsinki)
13:00-14:30 Thematic Session: Dimensions of Platform Accountability. Chair: Prof. Mervi Pantti.
- Accountability mechanisms supported by platforms (Markus Ojala, University of Helsinki)
- Social media platforms and scandalous design (Michael Bossetta, Lund University)
- Accountability and legitimacy of the platforms: a historical trajectory (Salla-Maaria Laaksonen, University of Helsinki)
- Outsourced justice: The case law of the Facebook Oversight Board (Riku Neuvonen, University of Helsinki, Tampere University and Esa Sirkkunen, Tampere University)
14:30-16:00 Thematic Session: Case Studies Beyond the EU. Chair: Prof. Hannu Nieminen
- Digital platform accountability and citizen activism (Outi Puukko, University of Helsinki)
- The changing landscape of internet shutdowns: a spectrum of practices (Nicole Stremlau, University of Oxford)
- Digital platforms and social accountability in a global context (Matti Pohjonen, University of Helsinki)
Closing of the day: Key themes and connections.
Friday 29 October 2021: Stakeholder Roundtable
Online: Open for all.
10:00-10:15 Welcome: Minna Horowitz
10:15-11:30 Keynote Panel: Perspectives to Media Platformisation and Small Nations
Prof. Terry Flew, University of Sydney (opening remarks): The challenge of media platform regulation for small and medium-sized nations.
Prof. Anja Bechmann, Aarhus University: Media platformisation and small nations - Why we need to focus on data access.
Prof. Natali Helberger, University of Amsterdam: Media platformisation and small nations - What would happen if...
Prof. Marko Milosavljevic, University of Ljubljana: Meta media platformisation and small nations – CEE and WB.
11:30-12:00 Live discussion
The rest of the event is on-site by invitation only.
Venue: Juhlahuoneistot, Unioninkatu 33, Helsinki
13:00-13:15 Media Platformisation in Finland. Key questions: Prof. Juha Herkman, University of Helsinki
13:15-14:30 Stakeholder discussion
14:30-15:00 Summary of the day and the next steps: Prof. Hannu Nieminen, University of Helsinki
If you have any comments or questions about the programme, do not hesitate to get in touch with Irina Grigor at email@example.com.