The online conference is free of charge and open for anyone interested with preregistration. You can register to the conference as a non-presenting participant via web form. Please register by 20 October.
The conference will be organized online on Zoom due to University of Helsinki Covid restrictions. More information will be available on this page closer to the event.
Contact for more information: History-SexualityGenderDiversityQueer2021 ( a ) helsinki.fi
Conference organizing committee
- Riikka Taavetti (chair, University of Helsinki / Political History)
- Nette Holopainen (University of Helsinki / INEQ)
- Julian Honkasalo (University of Helsinki / Gender Studies)
- Miina Keski-Petäjä (University of Helsinki / Economic and Social History)
- Satu Lidman (Tampere University / Unit of Social Research)
- Johanna Rainio-Niemi (University of Helsinki / Political History and INEQ)
The conference will take place online via Zoom. All registered participants will receive Zoom meeting links and passwords from the organizers before the conference. For the sake of safety and privacy of all participants we kindly ask you to not post or share any of the links or passcodes.
We recommend using the Zoom application for participating in meetings. You can, however, also participate in a Zoom meeting using the browser without the Zoom application. You should note, that the browser version of Zoom has limited functionalities and that it works best in Google Chrome.
In order for the conference to run smoothly, please keep the following instructions in mind:
- When joining the meeting, please use your full name as your screen name. Also, consider adding your personal pronouns (they/them, she/her, he/him etc.) in parenthesis after your name.
- Remember to mute your audio and turn it on only while speaking.
- Turn your camera on while speaking. Otherwise, you can choose to keep your camera on or turn it off. If you keep it on, please be aware of your surroundings and what can be seen in the video.
- Follow the session chair’s instructions on how to ask questions and give comments during the sessions. There will be time for discussion in all sessions.
To change your screen name after entering a Zoom meeting, click on the “Participants” button at the bottom of the Zoom window. Next, hover your mouse over your name in the “Participants” list on the right side of the Zoom window. Click on “Rename”. Change your name and add your personal pronouns after your name.
If you are new to Zoom or otherwise unsure how to manage your settings etc., or you want to test your connection before the conference, you can try a test meeting on https://zoom.us/test.
Conferencing, online and in-person, can be exhausting so you will need to take breaks. Breaks are built-in to the conference program. Stand up and stretch, get a snack or of a cup of coffee and come back refreshed! If you leave the Zoom meeting on, make sure that you mute your microphone during the break.
Please note that times on the conference program are local times in Finland (UTC+3).
You can find more detailed practical tips for conference participants and presenters here.
In addition to Zoom, we will use Flinga as a communication platform. Mostly practical information will be shared there during the conference and it works as our primary information channel in case we run into technical problems with Zoom. The Flinga wall also serves as a space where participants can give feedback. Link to the Flinga wall will be sent out to participants together with the Zoom links.