Date: October 21, 2022
Time: 14:30-17:00 Helsinki Time (UTC+3)
Location: Soc&kom, Festsal (Snellmaninkatu 12, Helsinki) University of Helsinki Centre Campus and on Zoom (Hybrid event)
Join us for a roundtable discussion to explore the definition of extractivisms—focusing on agrarian and agro extractivisms.
The motivation for this roundtable is to advance the definition and understanding of agro/agrarian extractivisms. We want to have a serious debate on the different nuances and meaning of extractivism, extrativismo (from Brazilian Portuguese), and other variations of the concept that are used in theory and practice. There are four broad guiding questions that will be explored during this roundtable discussion.
- How are agroextractivisms defined?
- What are the roots (and consequences) of the different language’s uses of the extractivism concept?
- What should be included in the definition of extractivism and what should not?
- Do the resistance efforts against agroextractivisms differ from resistance and transformative alternatives to other types of extractivisms?
The roundtable features an exciting line-up! For our opening words we will be joined by Anja Nygren, University of Helsinki.
Facilitator: Markus Kröger, Univeristy of Helsinki
- Sérgio Sauer, University of Brasilia
- Maria Ehrnström-Fuentes, Åbo Akademi University
- Alberto Alonso Fradejas, Utrecht University
- Saana Hokkanen, University of Helsinki
More speakers to be announced!!
Language: The discussion will be conducted in English and simultaneous interpretation will be available in Spanish on Zoom (on Zoom you can choose to listen in Spanish or English). The English discussion and Spanish interpretation will both be recorded and made later available on the EXALT YouTube channel.
Registration: There is no cost to attend either in-person or on Zoom, but registration is required. Please register by October 19 using this form. Please note there is limited space to attend in person.
Please do not hesitate to contact EXALT via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions or need additional information. We look forward to seeing you on October 21, 2022.