The conference will take place online via Zoom. All registered participants will receive Zoom meeting links and passwords from the organisers before the conference. Please do not share the Zoom meeting links and passwords you receive with anyone.
We recommend using the Zoom application for participating in meetings. You can, however, also participate in a Zoom meeting using the browser without the Zoom application. You should note, however, that the browser version of Zoom has limited functionalities and that it works best in Google Chrome. The Zoom Client for Meetings as well as the Zoom Mobile Application is available for manual download here.
For the participants:
- Choose an uncluttered location inside, quiet and free from interruptions.
- When possible, use a wired network connection on your computer to avoid screen freeze or ensure you have a stable and secure Wifi connection.
- Preferably, use a separate microphone or headset to improve audio quality.
- An external web camera will improve the video quality. Zoom works fine also with a built-in web camera.
- Join a test meeting beforehand to test your speakers, microphones and web camera.
- Before joining the meeting, close all unnecessary applications and turn off all sound notifications on your computer.
- When joining the meeting, please use your full name as your screen name.
- Remember to mute your audio and turn on only while speaking.
- Turn off your video and use only while speaking (if not otherwise instructed).
- Follow the organisers' instructions on how to make questions and comments during the sessions.
Extra tips for the presenters:
- Put your web camera at eye level or higher – experiment for best angles. Make sure that you have a light-coloured background behind you.
- Pay attention to the lighting in the room. Too much light behind you will make you appear a dark figure. To counteract backlighting make sure you have a good source of light in front of you.
- Have the content and applications that you intend to share open and prepared ahead of time. Close applications that have pop-ups.
- If you are using an external monitor, be sure you are very confident screen sharing your presentation through this monitor before you present live.
- If possible, look directly at your camera while speaking. In that way, your attendees will feel much more included in the conversation.
Conferencing, online and in-person can be exhausting so you will need to take breaks. Breaks are built-in to the conference program. Stand up and stretch, get a snack or of a cup of coffee and come back refreshed! If you leave the Zoom meeting on, make sure that you mute your microphone during the break.
Funet Miitti (Zoom) and the public Zoom service are different services
The University of Helsinki uses the Funet Miitti (Zoom) service, which is provided by CSC and implemented through the NORDUnet in cooperation with other Nordic countries. The service is implemented in compliance with Finnish law and European data protection regulations. The Zoom service provided by CSC and NORDUnet is technically different from the Zoom service provided by the US-based Zoom Video Communications, Inc.
The news on the transmission of phone numbers or credit card information does not concern the service provided by CSC and NORDUnet. TheNORDUnet environment does not use Zoom cloud storage, and Zoom has no access to the video or audio from meetings. The service description of Funet Miitti is public.