This programme prepares you for a career as an economist in business, financial markets and the public sector. Upon completing the programme you will be awarded the Master of Social Sciences degree, having demonstrated that you have developed many skills needed in your future career:
- Profound knowledge of economic theory and familiarity with scientific economic literature,
- The ability to apply economic theory to solving practical problems and interpreting economic phenomena,
- Familiarity with econometric methods and the ability to apply them to practical research problems,
- The ability to collect and interpret empirical data,
- The ability to communicate conclusions and assess the significance of the assumptions made for them,
- Fluency in communicating economic issues to different domestic and international audiences as well as the capability to work independently and in multidisciplinary cooperation,
- Readiness to assess your own professional performance and systematically develop it, and
- Knowledge of sources of economic information and the ability to adopt new tools of economic analysis.
The programme comprises two tracks. The Research track is more demanding in that it gives more profound knowledge of economic theory and econometric methods than the General track. This track is particularly suitable if your goal is to pursue a doctoral degree in economics. Profound knowledge of economic theory and methods is also useful in many demanding careers as an economist.
The degree requirements in both tracks correspond to international standards, which will help you when finding employment and pursuing further studies towards a doctoral degree in Finland and globally.