The teaching in the Master's Programme in Contemporary Societies (COS) is organised so that you can acquire expertise and skills relevant for working life as well as qualifications for doctoral studies. The unique context offered by the COS programme helps you to develop versatile expertise. The programme design allows you to build your individual portfolio according to your interests and career plans.
Studies are part of your career. At the University of Helsinki, all degrees include career planning. The Career Services at the University of Helsinki, in cooperation with degree programmes, supports the growth of your expert identity as part of your studies and with separate services.
From the start of your studies until one year after the completion of your degree, the Career Services supports your career path.
- gives career counselling and job seeking support
- arranges info sessions, workshops and events
- provides suitable job and traineeship offers for students
- shares university’s subsidy for traineeships and
- facilitates group mentoring programmes.
As a graduate of COS with a Master’s in Social Science (MSocSc), you will have built your portfolio with courses that provide solid expertise in your study track and reflect your personal interests and career goals. You will be qualified to work in both the public and private sectors, in governmental administration or in various types of organisations.
Making use of the unusually broad range of courses available, you will also have acquired excellent qualifications to continue with an academic career and PhD studies.
Would you like to build a career in Finland? Do you want to build professional networks during your studies and get valuable insight into Finnish working life? Then you should apply for the HelsinkiUNI International Talent Programme (HITP).
HITP is a group mentoring programme where Finnish companies and international students are brought together to share ideas and to learn from each other.
What will you gain from HITP?
- Successful applicants are placed in a group and assigned a mentor from a Finnish company or organization. When applying you can choose which of the participating companies interest you the most.
- You will receive support in growing your network among both professionals and fellow students. During the programme your group will meet 4–5 times on the company premises. Themes for the meet-ups include a company introduction and an overview on current competency requirements in that specific field. You will also get to present your own skills to the company.
- When the HITP has been completed, the goal is that cooperation can continue between the student and the company if both parties wish to do so.
More information about the HelsinkiUNI International Talent Programme.
An important aim of the COS programme is to provide you with a solid foundation to pursue a doctoral degree. The University of Helsinki offers several relevant doctoral programmes, such as:
More information about Doctoral Education at the University of Helsinki.
All previous University of Helsinki degree and exchange students, as well as employees, are our alumni. The number close to 200,000 worldwide, and more than 30,000 of us are already part of alumni activities.