The employment outlook within the field is excellent. As a graduate from the Master's Programme in Computer Science, you can find employment in varied positions within the ICT field, both as employees and entrepreneurs, within small or large corporations as well as organisations in the private, public or third sector. Due to the global nature of the field, you can find employment anywhere in the world. Your degree is also an excellent springboard to a doctoral programme.
Studies are part of your career. At the University of Helsinki, all degrees include career planning. The Career Services at the University of Helsinki, in cooperation with degree programmes, supports the growth of your expert identity as part of your studies and with separate services.
From the start of your studies until one year after the completion of your degree, the Career Services supports your career path.
- gives career counselling and job seeking support
- arranges info sessions, workshops and events
- provides suitable job and traineeship offers for students
- shares university’s subsidy for traineeships and
- facilitates group mentoring programmes.
The employment outlook within the field is excellent. Masters of Computer Science find varied positions within the ICT field, both as employees and entrepreneurs. The nature of the education is also geared towards giving you an aptitude for managerial posts. All the sub-programmes provide the qualifications to find employment in a wide variety of jobs.
Software-system graduates often start their careers as software developers and designers. In comparison, network graduates often start with software at the infrastructure level (such as data communications, computation, or data entry). The skills learned in the algorithms sub-programme enable you to work on challenging tasks in various fields.
As a graduate, you can find employment within
- small or large corporations
- organisations in the private, public, or third sector.
Due to the global nature of the field, you can find employment anywhere in the world. Taking modules from other education programmes will help you apply your computer science skills in other areas. Many jobs are based on these combinations.
Thanks to its strong scientific basis, the degree is also an excellent springboard to a doctoral programme.
Would you like to build a career in Finland? Do you want to build professional networks during your studies and get valuable insight into Finnish working life? Then you should apply for the HelsinkiUNI International Talent Programme (HITP).
HITP is a group mentoring programme where Finnish companies and international students are brought together to share ideas and to learn from each other.
What will you gain from HITP?
- Successful applicants are placed in a group and assigned a mentor from a Finnish company or organization. When applying you can choose which of the participating companies interest you the most.
- You will receive support in growing your network among both professionals and fellow students. During the programme your group will meet 4–5 times on the company premises. Themes for the meet-ups include a company introduction and an overview on current competency requirements in that specific field. You will also get to present your own skills to the company.
- When the HITP has been completed, the goal is that cooperation can continue between the student and the company if both parties wish to do so.
More information about the HelsinkiUNI International Talent Programme.
Although it is easy for international students to get by with English in the Helsinki region, learning Finnish will significantly improve your career options after graduation.
The University of Helsinki offers free Finnish language courses for enrolled international degree students. The beginners and intermediate level courses are not only a way to learn the language, but you also learn more about Finnish culture and get to network with other international students across the fields.
Information about the Finnish courses for international students in the Instructions for students.
After completing the MSc degree, you can apply for a doctoral programme at the University of Helsinki and at other universities in Finland or abroad.
Suitable doctoral programmes at the University of Helsinki are, for example:
More information about doctoral education at the University of Helsinki.
After graduation, the world is wide open and full of possibilities. How can you venture forward to make the career path you want? What kind of work would you like to do? What kind of life should you lead? The Helsinki alumni community is there to support you as you transition from the University to the world of work.
All previous University of Helsinki degree and exchange students, as well as staff, are our alumni. As a member of the University of Helsinki alumni network, Finland’s largest network of experts, you get valuable support, knowledge and contacts for your working life.